The Crucial Role of the Independent Mortgage Bank
In This Section
It's time to learn more about this vital sector.
Independent mortgage banks (IMBs) are non-depository institutions that typically focus exclusively on mortgage lending. Mortgage bankers have originated and serviced loans since the 1870s, and independent mortgage banks have been an important component of the mortgage market for more than a century. Today's IMB sector is well-regulated and plays a crucial role in serving the core of the single-family mortgage market with sustainable mortgage products through all economic cycles. Learn more about this vital sector today.
Read Our Latest Whitepaper
The Rising Role of the Independent Mortgage Bank – Benefits and Policy Implications
Inside you will find:
- The Independent Mortgage Banker Business Model
- Evolving Market Dynamics — How IMBs Fill the Void When Banks Pull Back
- Regulatory Oversight of IMBs Has Strengthened Significantly Since the Crisis
- Policy Implications of Rising IMB Market Share
- Recommendations to Enhance the Stability of the Housing Finance Market