FHA Affordable/221(d)(4) Training Program
In This Section
The 2021 application window has closed. Check back later for 2022 information.
Following in the footsteps our popular FHA Multifamily Underwriting Training Program, MBA Education is excited to announce an extension to our FHA multifamily coursework. The all new and comprehensive FHA Affordable/221 (d)(4) Training Program continues the learning with an extensive and rigorous curriculum. The course is designed to set the standard for skills required for affordable multifamily and new construction or substantial rehabilitation lending and was developed in consultation with expert teams of MAP lenders, affordable housing experts, underwriters, building engineers, environmental professionals, appraisers, and attorneys.
At the end of this comprehensive course, participants can demonstrate mastery of knowledge, skills, and abilities expected of underwriters for underwriting affordable multifamily and new construction or substantial rehabilitation transactions, including:
- Key business applications include:
- Improved quality and accuracy in FHA affordable/ and new construction/ substantial rehabilitation lending
- Improved processing times for FHA multifamily affordable/221(d)(4) loans
- Improved working relationships and consistency in decision-making by HUD staff and MAP lenders
- Increased awareness and application of multifamily affordable and new construction and substantial rehabilitation best practices
- Successful completion of this program requires submitting weekly homework assignments and passing the final exam.
- Explore the current state of the affordable/LIHTC market
- Distinguish HUD's role and programs available in the financing of new affordable housing
- Distinguish between Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) and Tax Exempt Private Activity Bonds and related terms
- Explore the process of obtaining LIHTC and Tax Exempt Private Activity Bonds
- Clarify HUD's underwriting requirements set forth in the MAP Guide (December 2020)
- Explore the components to the draw schedule including sources and uses of funds
- Review legal matters at closing, and the requirements of construction administration and loan servicing
The course is offered via a blended format, combining the flexibility and ease of web-based study and self-study.
- Virtual kick off (September 13, 2021)
- Twice-weekly two hour live webinars (Tuesdays and Fridays) 1:00pm - 3:00pm ET
- Course concludes with the final exam on December 21, 2021
- Approximately 1-2 hours per week of self-study and assignment completion outside of class
Who Should Attend
Applicants must be employed and approved to participate by a lender fully approved under HUD's MAP Program or employed and approved to participate by HUD.
- Professionals must be either FHA MAP certified or have earned MBA Education's FHA Multifamily Underwriter Training Program Certificate of Completion.
- Minimum 3 years of experience underwriting FHA multifamily loans
- 1-3 years' experience with affordable housing
- 1-3 years' experience with new construction or substantial rehabilitation projects
- Be familiar with the concepts of construction and tax exempt bonds
- HUD staff
How to Apply/Application Deadlines
Application Deadline: June 30
Open Enrollment Ends: June 30
Selection Notification: July 16
Tuition Deadline: July 30
Tuition Non-Refundable: August 13
Program Begins: September 13
Senior Training Coordinator Specialist
Mortgage Bankers Association
Phone: (202) 557-2921
Early Cutoff: Friday, May 28
|Before May 28, 2021||May 29 - June 30, 2021|