MBA Diversity and Inclusion Residential Leadership Awards
In This Section
Before you Apply
Check out our tips on how to apply in order make sure your application is as competitive as possible.
MBA's Diversity and Inclusion Residential* Leadership Awards celebrate and recognize MBA member companies for their work and dedication in supporting a key industry initiative - diversity and inclusion, as it pertains to hiring, lending and outreach.
MBA's Diversity and Inclusion Awards:
- Recognize MBA member companies that have developed innovative ways to foster diversity and inclusion in the industry
- Highlight leaders in the area of industry diversity and inclusion
- Inspire business strategies that reach out to diverse populations
- Raise awareness about the importance of being a diverse and inclusive industry
- Share industry best practices and successes to inspire new strategies that reach out to diverse communities
2019 Awards Timeline:
- Applications are accepted through July 31, 2019.
- Our 2019 award recipients will be recognized at MBA's Annual Convention & Expo 2019, taking place October 27-30 in Austin, Texas.
Market Outreach Strategies
Applications are open to all MBA residential members regardless of business model or membership category. This award recognizes company initiatives that are specifically developed and designed to increase outreach, marketing, and/or products to attract customers from the industry's fastest growing market segments.
For example, MBA's 2015 research report, "Housing Demand: Demographics and the Numbers Behind the Coming Multi-million Increase in Households" forecasts that, over the next decade, the number of new minority owner households will be more than one-third higher (7.3 million) than the number of new non-Hispanic White households (5.4 million). Additional studies indicate that the number of single female buyers now account for nearly twice as many house purchases as single men, while the majority of married homebuyers consist of families in which both individuals are employed.
Efforts can be focused on direct outreach to consumers, or can include initiatives that help achieve these goals through business-to-business initiatives or technology innovations.
Organizational Diversity and Inclusion
Applications are open to all MBA residential members regardless of business model or membership category. This award recognizes company initiatives that are specifically developed and designed to increase diversity and inclusion within the leadership and employee base of member companies, thereby leading to a mortgage banking industry that may better reflect and better understand its customers. The award will recognize continued commitment to, and advancement of diversity and inclusion through successful programs and initiatives that have achieved specific results. Examples of programs include recruitment and retention programs, mentorship programs, internal diversity and inclusion training, and supplier diversity programs.
Each category will have two awardees:
- Larger organizations (Greater than 1,000 employees)
- Smaller organizations (Less than 1,000 employees)
Scoring Criteria (scale from 1-5)
Submissions scoring is based on the following criteria:
- How would you rate the overall quality of the submission? Does it appropriately describe the program's goal(s), methodology, and timeframe? Does it include appropriate metrics, baseline and improvements? It is well-written and professionally presented? Are the responses thorough?
- How well does the program define its target audience(s) and specific annual goals? What issue/problem are you trying to solve?
- How well does the program demonstrate a tangible benefit to the participants and overall enterprise? Include information such as how the program has impacted employee recruitment, profitability, business growth, and/or how the program has assisted with an expansion into a new market.
- Can the program be replicated by others in the industry?
- Does the program demonstrate an innovative approach to achieving diversity performance? If so, how?
- How well does the program achieve the overall goals of the diversity and inclusion leadership awards? Can you demonstrate how the program has succeeded in broadening the culture of the organization, that is, to what extent have the values of diversity and inclusion for the target audience(s) been absorbed into everday decision-making and behaviour by managers and rank and file employees?
Definition of Diversity
MBA defines diverse individuals and groups that meet the following criteria:
- Non-white, bi-racial, white Hispanic
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender