Home Equity Lending Study
In This Section
MBA's Home Equity Lending Study
MBA's inaugural 2019 Home Equity Lending Study includes benchmarking data - volume, utilization rates, operational metrics and growth expectations - related to lending and servicing open-ended Home Equity Lines of Credit (HELOCs) and closed-end Home Equity Loans (HE Loans).
The study was conducted in Spring 2019, based on data through 2018. MBA collected data from 27 member companies - including large banks, community banks, and independent mortgage companies - representing $64.7 billion in originations volume for 2018, $517.4 billion in maximum credit extended to borrowers as of December 31, 2018, and $249.7 billion in outstanding borrowings as of December 31, 2018.
This summary report includes key findings and charts from the 2019 Home Equity Lending Study and is available for purchase. The following charts are included:
- Owner's Equity in Real Estate and Home Equity Debt Outstanding
- Residential Lien Summary
- HELOC Originations
- Equity Gain By State
- Home Equity Lender Challenges
- Home Equity Lender Initiatives
- Operating Structures: Originations and Servicing
- 2018 Commitment Volume Levels
- First Borrower Contact
- Reasons for Borrowing
- Underwriting Characteristics: Loan-To-Value Ratios
- Underwriting Characteristics: Valuation Method
- Underwriting Characteristics: Average FICO
- Pull-Through Rates and Processing Times
- Vintage Year Utilization Comparison (2016, 2017 and 2018)
- HELOC Accounts with 0% to 100% Usage as of Year-End 2018
- HELOC and HE Loans Outstandings: Financing Terms & Performance
- HELOC and HE Loan Growth Expectations
For questions on ordering the summary publication, contact email@example.com or call 202-557-2916.
NOTE ON STUDY PARTICIPATION: If your company originates and/or services HELOC and HE Loans and is interested in participating in the full comprehensive study in 2020, please contact Marina Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-557-2817. You must be an MBA member to participate.