Commercial Loan Origination Sales Training Workshop - 2 Day
Alston & Bird, Los Angeles, CA
Thursday, May 9th - Friday, May 10th, 2019
May 9th: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM PST
May 10th: 8:30 - 3:00 PM PST
Alston & Bird
333 South Hope Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Hotel Registration Information:
- All registrants are responsible for making their own hotel accommodations.
- Please click here to see hotels in close proximity to the course location.
This two day workshop is designed for individuals who have been in the commercial mortgage lending industry for a short time and want to acquire the skills needed to be effective and productive in sales. It also serves professionals seeking to transition from the residential side of the industry to the commercial side.
The first day of the workshop begins with an overview of the origination process including how the origination process works, who the players are and their roles in origination. The instructors explore how to analyze a borrower's request and select an appropriate capital source. The session also reviews the loan processing including how the lender sells the loan internally to the investment committee.
The second day of the workshop focuses on sales training and includes how to develop a successful business by learning well-established sales practices, identify the needs of each client, hone in on individual marketing styles, and learn strategies that successful mortgage bankers utilize to close the deal and establish a competitive advantage.
The workshop is an interactive classroom environment with a combination of lecture, case studies and group presentations.
Day 1 Objectives:
- Review why originators are important to the whole loan process
- Define commercial loan origination and the players involved
- Interpret the borrower's needs for financing and determine feasibility
- Identify sources of capital and strategies to appropriately match lender to borrower
- Explain quote analysis and recommendation to the borrower
- Identify required borrower information for loan processing
- Describe selling to the lender's investment committee
- Review the closing and servicing process
Day 1 Activities:
Day 1 of the workshop is primarily lecture with two concluding group activities involving role play and presentations to the instructors. Participants are divided into groups and asked to evaluate a sample financing request from a borrower and make a financing recommendation that is presented to the appropriate lender. Each group then compiles the deal to be presented to a lender's investment committee.
Day 2 Objectives:
- Differentiate the characteristics of a successful commercial real estate mortgage banker
- Summarize techniques for selecting a marketing style
- Develop techniques for evaluating a competitive advantage
- Describe effective strategies for working with clients
- Apply techniques for selling the deal to the borrower
- Apply techniques for selling the deal to the lender
Day 2 Activities:
Day 2 of the workshop will be interspersed with lecture and individual and group activities. Participants have an opportunity to develop their best pitch based on a sample deal and practice the pitch to the instructors. Working in groups and using role play, the techniques discussed will be applied to develop a financing recommendation to make a sale to a borrower and a lender.
Download the Commercial Loan Origination Workshop Agenda to learn more about the program.
Who Should Attend?This two-day course is designed for individuals who have been in the mortgage lending industry for a short time and want to acquire the skills needed to be effective and productive in sales. Individuals should have familiarity of commercial property types, market lending platforms, capital markets, and real estate finance theory.
- Gail Griffith, Director, Commercial/Multifamily Content, Mortgage Bankers Association
- Dan Phelan, CMB, CCMS, CRI, President & CEO, Pacific Southwest Realty Services
- Mike Tanner, Executive Vice President & Principal, Pacific Southwest Realty Services
- Andrew Lurker, Director, Pacific Life Insurance Company
MBA Diversity and Inclusion scholarship opportunities are available for this offering. Click HERE for more information.
This registration serves as confirmation of your successful enrollment in this course. Please proceed with any necessary travel arrangements. To review all of MBA Education policies, please click here