Fundamentals of Residential Lending & the Secondary Market
San Francisco, CA
Monday, July 15th, 2019
8:30 AM - 12:00 PM CST
Exact location TBD
California MBA Western Secondary Market Conference
San Francisco, CA
Hotel Registration Information:
- All registrants are responsible for making their own hotel accommodations.
In conjunction with the California MBA's Western Secondary Market Conference, MBA Education is pleased to offer a comprehensive and dynamic look at some fundamental elements of single-family secondary market. Applicable for lenders and investors alike, this interactive workshop will examine key risk areas in any residential mortgage portfolio along with risk reduction procedures for both the lender and secondary market investor. Our subject matter expert will review the typical cash flow of a single mortgage and how that translates to mortgage pools and securitization in the secondary market. Students will walk away understanding how different products and techniques can help improve cash flow for your company and mitigate risk. This session is intended for professionals of all backgrounds and experience levels, but will be best suited for those new to secondary marketing or looking to transition into a role in secondary and capital markets.
Objectives:Attendees should expect to understand:
- The risks inherent in any residential mortgage portfolio
- o Credit risk reduction or elimination via GSE guarantees
- Securitization and the depository lender
- o The securitization process
- o Balance sheet enhancement due to reduced capital requirements and liquidity risk reduction
- Creation and analysis of the single-class pass-through security for investors in the secondary market
- o Prepayment models and introduction of prepayment risk
- o Valuation of the pass-through in light of interest rate risk
- Structured finance products derived from the single-class pass-through
- o Creation of a sequential-pay collateralized mortgage obligation (CMO)
- o Illustration of interest rate risk reduction for secondary market investors
- o Illustration of prepayment risk reduction for secondary market investors
- The Cash Flow of a Single Mortgage Loan
- Mortgage pools
- Securitization and the Secondary Market
- Prepayment Risk and the Pass-Through
- Introduction to Structured Finance and the CMO
- Stripped Mortgage Backed Products
- Debrief and Final Q&A
Who Should Attend?
- Secondary marketing professionals and analysts
- Mortgage investors
- Risk professionals
- Anyone looking to gain more exposure to fundamental concepts of the secondary market
- R. Philip Giles, Ph.D.
Dr. Giles has served as an adjunct professor at the Columbia University Graduate School and at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, teaching courses in banking, fixed income, domestic and international money markets, and debt markets. He has also taught in the Executive MBA program at the University of California - Berkeley. He received his Ph.D in Economics from Columbia University
MBA Diversity and Inclusion scholarship opportunities are available for this offering. Click HERE for more information.
MBA Education recommends you wait until after you receive our registration confirmation email before you make any travel arrangements. MBA assumes no liability for any penalty fees on airline tickets, deposits for hotel accommodations, or any other fees, charges, penalties, or other incidental costs that a registrant might incur. To review all of MBA Education policies, please click here