Opportunity Zones: A Guide to Evolving Program Rules
The U.S. Treasury issued the much-anticipated second set of proposed regulations addressing the Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ) program on April 17, 2019. This quickly evolving program has the potential to spur economic development in more than 8,700 QOZs throughout the U.S. and its possessions, while providing patient investors with tax deferral on gains rolled over into Qualified Opportunity Funds (QOFs) and tax elimination on the appreciation on investments in a QOF.
Members of Ballard Spahr's Qualified Opportunity Zone team will share an overview of the QOZ program and take a deeper dive into how this second set of regulations will impact investments in real estate and operating businesses located in QOZs.
Wednesday, June 19, 2019
2:00-3:30 p.m. ESTObjectives:
Attendees should expect to understand:
- A brief description of basic Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ) program rules
- An overview of the second set of proposed QOZ Treasury Regulations
- Practical examples of how QOZ equity can help finance real estate development and operating businesses
- Structuring QOF Investments
- Reinvesting Sales Proceeds by a Qualified Opportunity Fund
- Satisfying the requirements for a Qualifying Opportunity Zone Business
- Expansion and clarification of what property qualifies for investment by a Qualified Opportunity Fund
- Linda B. Schakel, Partner, Ballard Spahr LLP
- Molly R. Bryson, Partner, Ballard Spahr LLP
Who Should Attend?
- Commercial and multifamily lenders
- Fund sponsors
- Community development advocates
- Tax professionals
Call begins on June 19, 2019 from 2:00 - 3:30 pm EST.
Login instructions will be sent to paid attendees in advance of the webinar.
All paid attendees will receive a copy of the audio recording and PowerPoint deck at the conclusion of the webinar.