CS_S_201 Basics of CMF Servicing
Member Price: $119.00
Nonmember Price: $169.00
Product Code: DL2-001019-WC-WPurchase
This is a commercial/multifamily series course, a component of the Level I Commercial Servicing Certificate Program.
Commercial/multifamily (CMF) finance is a dynamic, growing, and ever-changing industry, and the servicing of commercial/multifamily loans is complex. Successful servicing requires complete industry knowledge. This series presents concepts critical to a well-rounded understanding of the commercial/multifamily servicing industry and provides the foundation needed to become an effective loan servicer and commercial/multifamily analyst.
The Basics of CMF Servicing series begins by discussing the role of the servicer, the history of mortgage banking and servicing, the influence of technology in mortgage servicing, the evolution of servicer responsibilities, as well as ethics in CMF servicing.
Next, it covers servicer relationships with the borrower, lender, investor, and other parties. It then discusses sources of funding for commercial/multifamily loans such as investment banks, thrifts, savings and loans, life insurance companies, the government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs), and FHA. From there the course examines financing vehicles starting with a market overview and portfolio transactions and moving on to commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS), government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs), and collateralized debt obligations.
Finally, the course provides a comprehensive understanding of how servicers make money. First exploring making money through servicing, ancillary, and borrower request fee income as well as float income. Then by taking a close look at the balancing of expenses and costs in order to maintain profitability.
This series is suitable for anyone interested in learning the basic concepts supporting commercial/multifamily loan servicing.
Upon completion of this course, learners should be able to:
- Discuss the evolution of the commercial/multifamily mortgage loan servicing industry.
- Explain the sources of funding for commercial/multifamily loans.
- Identify the commercial/multifamily products and financing vehicles available today.
- Describe the different relationships among the various parties involved in commercial/multifamily mortgage transactions.
- Outline how servicers make money and the typical servicing expenses.
CMF Servicer Background
- Role of the Servicer
- History of Mortgage Banking and Servicing
- Influence of Technology
- Evolution of Servicing Responsibilities
- Ethics in Commercial/Multifamily Servicing
CMF Servicing Relationships
- The Borrower
- The Lender
- The Investor
- The Servicer
- Other Parties
- Changing Roles
CMF Sources of Funds
- Funding Considerations
- Investment Banks
- Thrifts, Savings and Loans, and Other Banks
- Life Insurance Companies
- Ginnie Mae
- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Practice Questions
CMF Financing Vehicles
- Market Overview
- Portfolio Transactions
- Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities
- Government-Sponsored Enterprises
- Collateralized Debt Obligations
- Practice Questions
How CMF Servicers Make Money
- Sources of Income
- Servicing Fee Income
- Ancillary Fee Income
- Borrower-Request Fee Income
- Float Income
- Expenses and Costs
- Corporate and Operational Expenses
- Transactional Costs
- Systems Costs