IMBs: Join a Bank, Buy a Bank, or Stay Independent
Member Price: $0.00
Nonmember Price: $79.00
Product Code: DL2-011521-WC-WPurchase
Live webinar held on March 14, 2019.
This webinar is part of MBA Education's Garrett, McAuley & Co. Mortgage Banking Management Webinar Series.
With today’s difficult industry conditions, independent mortgage bankers are taking another look at aligning with a bank or credit union. Many mortgage bankers find banks very attractive because of their capital, liquidity, and resources. Banks appear to be a safe haven in a business that’s getting more competitive all the time and one that calls into question the future of the independent mortgage banker. So more independent mortgage bankers are wondering whether they should seek to sell to a bank or, in some cases, buy a bank and fold their mortgage operations into the bank.
But mortgage banking and commercial banking aren’t always a good fit. Many deals are discussed and go nowhere while others close but don’t work out the way everybody intended. Strategic, regulatory, and even "social" issues can make or break a combination of an independent mortgage banker and a depository institution. It’s better to go into it with your eyes wide open. This webinar will cover the key issues so that you can make an informed and correct decision.
Discounts:Attendees who register for 3 or more Garrett McAuley webinars in the "Mortgage Banking Management" webinar series are eligible to receive a 10% discount off each webinar registration. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org receive discount. Objectives:
During this webinar, we'll discuss the following:
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of merging mortgage operations into a bank or credit union?
- Why do so many bank acquisitions of mortgage companies fail? (And the story of one acquisition of a bank by a mortgage company that was a grand slam home run.)
- What are the differences between Bank culture vs. mortgage company culture?
- Which type of business models do banks use for mortgage banking and which stands out as the top performer?
- What are the compliance burdens at banks and the types of internal and regulatory exams that you will face?
- How regulators perceive and treat the different business models.
- Does it matter if the bank is regulated by the OCC, the FDIC, or the Fed?
- Should you buy or build a bank?
- Would you need to buy the whole bank, or could you just buy a percentage of the shares?
- Where would you find a bank that might be for sale?
- What will you need to buy or start a bank, including approvals, Board members, and management team?
- How long will it take and how much will it cost?
- Michael D. McAuley, Principal, Garrett, McAuley & Co.
- Joe Garrett, Principal, Garrett, McAuley & Co.
Who Should Attend?
- Senior Officers of mortgage companies, including owners, CEOs, COOs, CFOs, and Operations Managers.
- Directors and major shareholders of Banks and mortgage companies.
- Private equity managers and industry analysts.
Mortgage Banking Management Series
The Mortgage Banking Management webinar series is presented in collaboration with MBA Education and Garrett, McAuley & Co. Our goal is to help MBA members increase revenues, control cost and better manage risk. The series includes the following webinars:
1. Ten Things Your Company Must Do in 2019 (January 17, 2019)
2. Mortgage Lending in 2019: What the Heck Do I Do Now? (February 27, 2019)
3. Mortgage Bankers: Should You Join a Bank or Should You Buy One? (March 14, 2019)
4. Twenty Performance Ratios Every Mortgage Banker Must Know (March 27, 2019)
5. Benchmarking Yourself as a Mortgage Lender (April 11, 2019)
6. Warehouse Lenders: Steps You Must Take in Today's Difficult Market (May 7, 2019)
7. Introduction to Internal Audits for Mortgage Bankers (June 20, 2019)
8. Using Internal Audits to Detect Risk & Improve Profitability (June 27, 2019)
9. Bank-Owned mortgage Divisions (September 18, 2019)
10. Budgeting and Financial Planning for Non-Believers (October 16, 2019)