In This Section
Residential Certified Mortgage Banker (CMB®) designees experience increased respect among colleagues and superiors, greater credibility with customers and the personal satisfaction of reaching the top level within our industry.
CMBs have access to more valuable networking opportunities, more confidence in their jobs and experience increased job satisfaction. All CMBs are recognized as members of a select group of influential leaders within the mortgage banking industry.
- Professional with a minimum of five years' experience in the real estate finance industry.
- Employed in the mortgage finance industry.
CMB Designation Path
Get started on the path to earning your CMB today. There are no certificates involved with this program.
|Experience Level:||Candidates should have five or more years in the mortgage industry before they enroll in the Residential CMB Program. It is recommended that a candidate have seven or more years (25 points) to fully matriculate through the CMB program.|
|Education Requirement:||Yes, a minimum of 35 points are required to complete the program.|
|Participation Requirement:||Yes, a minimum of 25 points are required to complete the program.|
|Written Exam:||Yes, a six hour exam conducted at candidate's location by approved proctor.|
|Oral Exam:||Yes, a one hour exam conducted by CMB designee panel at locations across the country.|
|Continuing Education:||Not at this time.|
1. Enroll in the CMB program. You can enroll online, via mail, or fax. Once you enroll, you are a candidate. Candidates who enroll after March 7, 2012 must complete the CMB coursework within three years from the date of enrollment.
Note: To become a CMB candidate, it is recommended that you have at least five years of professional experience in the real estate finance industry. Employment with an MBA member company or state MBA is not required to enroll in the CMB designation program. Prospective candidates who are currently non-members, but members of a recognized state/local MBA must provide proof of good standing to be eligible to receive the non-member, state/local MBA rate.
MBA Member: $350
State/Local MBA (national non-member): $400
Residential CMB Enrollment
Fax, Mail, or Express Mail Registration
Download the PDF Designation Enrollment Form to register by fax, mail, or express mail. Fax to (202) 621-1566.
2. Provide documentation. Please provide MBA Education with the following documents:
- A copy of your current resume and bio, and complete the transcript update form - this information is used to establish your current point status
- Letter of recommendation from a senior company official
- Contact information from two (2) industry business references. These individuals should provide support of your qualifications as a CMB candidate. This information can be provided on the CMB Application form.
- Identity/Select your CMB Sponsor. If you do not know a current CMB or have sponsor in mind, and MBA Education Designations staff member will assist with connecting you to CMBs in your local geographic area. You will be responsible for contacting and communicating with those individuals to determine or secure sponsorship.
- Picture for graduation purposes (a high resolution photo in JPG or TIFF file formats)
3. Acquire 150 CMB Points. You need to acquire 150 CMB points from three categories before you can sit for the written exam:
- Professional Experience (Minimum: 25 points)
- Documented Education (Minimum: 35 points)
- Industry participation (Minimum: 25 points)
Click here for more information on how to acquire 150 CMB points. The MBA Education designations staff can assist you in creating a professional development plan to help you acquire the 150 points.
4. Prepare. Once you have enrolled, have met the minimum point requirements in each category and have accumulated all of the required points, you will be eligible to enroll in the Residential CMB Prep Course. This is the best way to prepare for the Written and Oral Exam. Additionally, your CMB Sponsor will be provided with a Written Exam outline. It is your responsibility to engage with your CMB sponsor to receive access to this outline. Remember, this exam is based upon the knowledge you have gained throughout your entire career. Your professional experience and interaction with other professionals in the industry is the best preparation for taking this exam.
5. Meet with your sponsor. If you do not know a CMB designee, an MBA Education Designations staff member will assist you with connecting you to CMBs in your local geographic area. You will be responsible for contacting and communicating with those individuals to determine or secure sponsorship. Your CMB sponsor must sign the MBA Education Sponsorship Agreement, which states that they agree to fulfill all of the requirements of being a CMB sponsor.
6. Take your online written exam. Once your CMB Sponsor has confirmed your readiness to take the exam. Schedule your online written exam with us by emailing Amber Lawrence at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling at 202-557-2766. To confirm the scheduling of your exam, please identify someone to act as your proctor. Your proctor is usually someone within your human resources department or a senior employee of your company/firm. We will provide your proctor with instructions to administer the exam, and your proctor will need to be available in person to facilitate and monitor the time spent taking the exam. You will have no more than six (6) hours to complete all sections of the exam and it must be completed on the same day. You will be allowed time for short breaks and lunch. This is not an open book examination. You will receive the results the of your written exam within 5 - 7 business days. If you do not pass all of the six section on your first attempt, you will only need to retest the section you do not pass. The passing rate is 75% or better.
MBA Member: $350
Residential CMB Oral and Written Exam
Fax, Mail, or Express Mail Registration
Download the Designation Test Enrollment Form to register by email, fax, mail, or express mail. Email to email@example.com. Fax to (202) 289-0671.
7. Complete the oral exam. Once you pass your written exam, you participate in a one-hour oral exam. These interviews are conducted by CMB designees, at convenient locations around the country throughout the year. We can help you locate the location nearest to you.
8. Graduate. Once you complete these steps, you are officially a CMB designee. You will receive your official plaque at the CMB Graduation Ceremony and Reception, which will be held at the MBA Annual Convention each year.
9. Be Recognized. All CMB graduates will be recognized at the Opening General Session at both conventions. Your photograph will be displayed and you will be asked to stand as your peers congratulate you on your success!