State Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) Legislation
Regulators and legislators are considering options to extend the reach of the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) to independent mortgage banks (IMBs). These policy options represent a solution in search of a problem and do not recognize the incompatibility of the CRA with the business models of IMBs and their historical lending activities.
Independent Mortgage Banks:
- do not have deposits to reinvest;
- do not have access to direct government support;
- already engage in sustainable lending in low- to moderate-income (LMI) communities; and,
- are subject to robust oversight and supervision in every state they operate as well as from federal regulators.
- Applying the Community Reinvestment Act to IMBs would be an ineffective and misguided policy choice that MBA opposes.
For more information about IMBs, please download:
- IMB Fact Sheet - Independent Mortgage Banks: Financing the American Dream
- IMB Policy Spotlight - Independent Mortgage Banks and Community Reinvestment Requirements: A Solution in Search of a Problem
- MBA White Paper - Applying CRA to Independent Mortgage Banks: An Ineffective and Misguided Policy Choice
Selected State HMDA Data Sheets of IMB Lending to LMI Borrowers
Data Sheet Available for Download
- Click State to Download Datasheet
Related State CRA News
- January 26, 2023: Maryland House of Delegates introduces legislation (HB0392) to apply CRA mandates to IMBs, credit unions, and state-charted banks.
- January 26, 2023: Illinois DFPR extends comment period for new CRA rules and announces public hearings.
- December 2022: Illinois DFPR publishes proposed rules to implement the Illinois Community Reinvestment Act. MBA and Illinois MBA submit a letter to Illinois DFPR urging it to extend the comment period.
- September 2022: The AARMR Regulator Perspective: Independent Mortgage Banks and Community Reinvestment Requirements: A Solution in Search of a Problem (page 16)
- May 19, 2022: California Senate Judiciary Committee Significantly Amends SB 1176; Senate Approves Bill NOTE: Legislation was not passed prior to end of 2022 legislative session.
- March 2022: California MBA Opposition Letter on Senate Bill 1176
- February 21, 2022: Urban Institute Report: Who Serves More People of Color in Mortgage Lending: Banks or Nonbanks?
- February 17, 2022: California Senate Introduces Bill to Apply CRA to Nonbanks
- December 16, 2021: MBA and Illinois MBA Submit Comments to Illinois DFPR Regarding Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Illinois CRA law.
- November 1, 2021: New York Governor Announces Her Approval of CRA Bill for Independent Mortgage Banks
- August 26, 2021: MBA and Illinois MBA Submit Testimony to Illinois DFPR Regarding Implementation of CRA Apropos to Independent Mortgage Banks
- August 9, 2021: Housing Wire - MBA and NY MBA Urge Governor to Veto New York IMB bill
- July 26, 2021: Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation announces Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPR)
- July 26, 2021: American Banker (subscription required), Will States Lead the Way on Expanding CRA to Nonbanks?
- July 23, 2021: MBA Letter Requesting Veto of New York CRA Legislation
- July 1, 2021: One Small Step for New York, One Large Misstep for Housing Finance, American Action Forum