Advocacy and Policy
In This Section
As the leading voice for our industry, we offer a comprehensive view of policy implications in the real estate finance space. We rely on our diverse membership to provide the practical knowledge that makes a real difference on the issues that matter most to the economy, real estate finance industry and its customers.
Explore our active issues by market focus or make a difference today by being an industry advocate.
RESOURCE: Visit our Coronavirus Resource Center for information resources from the health/disease control agencies, recommended business continuity plans, relevant information from financial regulatory agencies, as well as guidance on how companies should communicate with employees, their customers and the public.
Spotlight on What is New and Important Right Now
1. Claim your seat at MBA's Annual Convention and Expo, October 17-20, the nation's largest gathering of real estate finance professionals. It's the one industry event you need to attend this year for in-person networking, learning and so much more.
2. Last week, MBA issued a MAA Call to Action asking industry professionals to contact their Senators and Representatives regrding our industry's tax priorities in the upcoming budget reconciliation negotiations. Residential/Single-Family advocates are encouraged to take action here, and Commercial/Multifamily advocates can take action here. (Last updated 08/16/21)
3. The proposed amendment to the False Claims Act, filed for inclusion with the Bipartisan Infrastructure Framework (BIF) last Thursday, did not receive the unanimous consent needed to attach it to the bill, an important short-term win for our industry. Thanks in large part to our members participating in our Call to Action, along with a coalition letter sent to Senate leadership, MBA has prevented these changes from undoing the FCA progress our industry has fought so hard for over the last several years. (Last updated 8/9/2021)
4. Register for ESG 101: How ESG is changing Commercial Real Estate webinar (October 12 at 3:00 pm EST). Join MBA Education and industry professionals for a detailed overview of ESG, how it factors into real estate finance and how companies are harnessing (and managing) it. Speakers will provide a framework for ESG and an introduction to how ESG is changing the way commercial real estate finance firms are doing business. (Last updated 09/28/21)
5. Late September, MBA released the Building General Wealth through Homeownership campaign, outlining MBA's advocacy and policy efforts to help families sustain and leverage homeownership to create a strong financial base. MBA is dedicated to addressing the nation's racial wealth gap by reducing the racial homeownership gap. (Last updated 10/11/2021)