Remote Online Notarization
In This Section
Current State Laws
Uniform Law Commission (ULC) Resources
ULC Committee on Notarial Acts
This committee has revised the 1982 Uniform Law on Notarial Acts. The revisions deal with matters such as notary responsibilities, electronic recording, interstate recognition, and remedies.
National Association of Secretaries of State (NASS) Resources
NASS Remote Notarization Task Force
Announced in April 2016, the Task Force is dedicated to promoting a greater understanding of the issues and policies surrounding remote/video notarizations amongst states. The Task Force reviewed technologies that facilitate remote notarizations, tracking state activity and developed a proposals for NASS consideration. Those draft standards were approved in February 2018.
The Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA) and the American Land Title Association (ALTA) have collaborated to prepare model legislation that would provide the framework for any state to adopt an remote online notarization process. This model legislation was developed with input from an ad-hoc task force of MBA and ALTA members and was also exposed for comment to MBA's Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Committee, MBA's State Legislative and Regulatory Committee and also ALTA committees. Additionally, key policy makers and other independent groups provided input. Both MBA and ALTA are working with their member companies and state and local association partners to advocate for the provisions of this model.
William Kooper on a Unified Legislative Approach to Online Notarization
The Mortgage Bankers Association released a new video featuring MBA Vice President of State Government Affairs and Industry Relations William Kooper, who discusses an MBA-sponsored Remote Online Notarization model legislation for states.
Learn more about
- MBA-ALTA Background Memorandum on the Model Bill
- MBA-ALTA Model Bill Section-By-Section Description
- MBA-ALTA Model Bill
- MBA Remote Online Notarization Issue Brief
- Suggested Talking Points on MBA-ALTA Model Bill
- Sample Support Letter to State Legislators
- Frequently Asked Questions on MBA-ALTA Model Bill
- Frequently Used Legal Acronyms of Key Laws and Model Bills
- MISMO Remote Online Notarization Development Working Group
- American Land Title Association Resource Page
The lastest news related to Remote Online Notarization
- July 10, 2018: MBA, ALTA, Vermont MBA and New England Land Title Assocaition write to Vermont Secretary of State to State to express concerns over RON rulemaking before Legislature considers certain core principles.
- June 20, 2018: MBA's Kobie Pruitt delivers RON campaign update at MERS Boot Camp.
- June 12, 2018: Michigan Legislature approves RON legislation, and sends bill to the Governor (Note: Signed by Governor 6/28/18).
- June 1, 2018: MBA and ALTA Submit Joint Comments to the Texas Secretary of State on Porposed RON Regulation
- May 22, 2018: Vermont Governor Signs RON Legislation; New Law Provides the Secretary of State Authority to Promulgate Rules (Notes: 1) See pages 37-39; and 2) Statute does not follow the contours of the MBA-ALTA Model)
- May 16, 2018: Minnesota Legislature Completes Passage of RON Legislation (Note: Signed by Governor on 5/20/18)
- May 7, 2018: Tennessee Legislature Send RON Legislation to Governor's Desk (Note: Signed by Governor on 5/15/18)
- May 4, 2018: Texas Secretary of State Proposes RON Regulation for Comments
- April 3, 2018: MBA Insights Article on RON: MBA, ALTA Partner on Model Online Notarization Legislation
- March 22, 2018: MBA's Kobie Pruitt Provides a RON State Legislative Update
- March 13, 2018: Indiana Governor Signs Remote Online Notarization Law
- February 20, 2018: National Association of Secretaries of State (NASS) Approved Standards for RON
- February 14 2018: MBA-ALTA Letter to NASS Remote Notary Task Force in Support of Draft Remote Notarization Standards
- January 18, 2018: MBA Newslink Article: MBA's William Kooper on a Unified Legislative Approach to Online Notarization
- January 16, 2018: PRIA Position Statement on Electronic and Remote Notary
- December 28, 2017: Nevada Secretary of State Notice of Meeting on Rules for AB 413
- September 9, 2017: MISMO Seeks Input on Online Notary Standards
- February 15, 2017: Press Release on ALTA Principles for Remote Online Notarization
- February 13, 2017: ALTA Letter to the National Association of Secretaries of State Regarding Remote Online Notarization
- June 23, 2016: MBA Letter to the National Association of Secretaries of State Regarding Remote Online Notarization