Remote Online Notarization
In This Section
2018 Progress Report on RON with William Kooper from 1/16/18
MBA and ALTA’s Launch of Remote Online Notarization (RON) Campaign with William Kooper from 8/27/18
The Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA) and the American Land Title Association (ALTA) have collaborated to prepare model legislation that would provide the framework for any state to adopt an remote online notarization process. This model legislation was developed with input from an ad-hoc task force of MBA and ALTA members and was also exposed for comment to MBA's Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Committee, MBA's State Legislative and Regulatory Committee and also ALTA committees. Additionally, key policy makers and other independent groups provided input. Both MBA and ALTA are working with their member companies and state and local association partners to advocate for the provisions of this model.
William Kooper Discusses Remote Online Notarization
MBA’s William Kooper provides an update on the industry's progress in the Remote Online Notarization enactment campaign, and discusses
consistency of RON laws among states.
Remote Online Notarization, or RON, is the use of audio/visual technology to complete a notarial act when the principal is not in the same physical location as the notary public. Getting consistent state laws passed in all 50 states, DC and Puerto Rico is a critical step in moving to a fully digital mortgage experience. That is why MBA partnered during 2017 with the American Land Title Association to begin a campaign to create a model bill for introduction and passage in every legislature. That campaign has been very successful, and MBA is proud to point out that:
- Over 30 RON bills have been introduced in more than 20 state legislatures during 2019 alone;
- Twenty-two states have enacted RON legislation; and,
- MBA continues to work with state partners to advocate for legislation consistent with the MBA-ALTA model.
Learn more about
- MBA-ALTA Background Memorandum on the Model Bill
- MBA-ALTA Model Bill Section-By-Section Description
- MBA-ALTA Model Bill
- MBA Remote Online Notarization Issue Brief
- Suggested Talking Points on MBA-ALTA Model Bill
- Sample Support Letter to State Legislators
- Frequently Asked Questions on MBA-ALTA Model Bill
- Frequently Used Legal Acronyms of Key Laws and Model Bills
- MISMO Remote Online Notarization Standards
- American Land Title Association Resource Page
Read the latest news related to Remote Online Notarization
- September 9, 2019: MISMO Finalizes RON Standards.
- July 29, 2019: National Mortgage News Article: MISMO Moves Needle on Remote Online Notarization (subscription required).
- July 26, 2019: MBANewslink Article: MISMO Approves New Remote Online Notarization Standards.
- July 25, 2019 MISMO Releases Revised RON Standards
- June 7, 2019: Florida Governor signs RON legislation (HB-409) into law.
- May 24, 2019: Nebraska Legislature approves RON bill (LB-186). UPDATE 6/3: Governor signs bill into law.
- May 20, 2019: Proposed RON legislation (AB-4076A) in New York is amended to algin more closely with industry approach and the laws of other RON states.
- May 13, 2019: Maryland enacts RON legislation (SB-678).