Remote Online Notarization
In This Section
2018 Progress Report on RON with William Kooper from 1/16/18
MBA and ALTA’s Launch of Remote Online Notarization (RON) Campaign with William Kooper from 8/27/18
The Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA) and the American Land Title Association (ALTA) have collaborated to prepare model legislation that would provide the framework for any state to adopt an remote online notarization process. This model legislation was developed with input from an ad-hoc task force of MBA and ALTA members and was also exposed for comment to MBA's Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Committee, MBA's State Legislative and Regulatory Committee and also ALTA committees. Additionally, key policy makers and other independent groups provided input. Both MBA and ALTA are working with their member companies and state and local association partners to advocate for the provisions of this model.
Remote Online Notarization State Surveys
Find the most comprehensive analysis of state requirements for Remote Online Notarization (RON). MBA Education's Compliance Essentials program has partnered with legal experts at DLA Piper, LLP to produce these surveys. The number of states available continues to grow as legislation is enacted to keep you current and competitive during these trying times. Guides are available for individual purchase or for as many states as you may need. Purchase this fully editable survey, delivered digitally, to gain a thorough understanding of individual state requirements and key issues.
Inside you will find:
- State's laws organized into nine key topics and requirements
- Guide for using the RON State Surveys and key points every lender needs to know
- Matrix of RON Requirements by State with 40 rows of state-specific information for all available states (available only with purchase of full package)
William Kooper Discusses Remote Online Notarization
MBA’s William Kooper provides an update on the industry's progress in the Remote Online Notarization enactment campaign, and discusses
consistency of RON laws among states.
Remote Online Notarization, or RON, is the use of audio/visual technology to complete a notarial act when the principal is not in the same physical location as the notary public. Getting consistent state laws passed in all 50 states, DC and Puerto Rico is a critical step in moving to a fully digital mortgage experience. That is why MBA partnered during 2017 with the American Land Title Association to begin a campaign to create a model bill for introduction and passage in every legislature. That campaign has been very successful, and MBA is proud to point out that:
- Over 30 RON bills have been introduced in more than 20 state legislatures during 2019 alone;
- Twenty-three states have enacted RON legislation; and,
- MBA continues to work with state partners to advocate for legislation consistent with the MBA-ALTA model.
Learn more about
- MBA-ALTA Background Memorandum on the Model Bill
- MBA-ALTA Model Bill Section-By-Section Description
- MBA-ALTA Model Bill
- MBA Remote Online Notarization Issue Brief
- Suggested Talking Points on MBA-ALTA Model Bill
- Sample Support Letter to State Legislators
- Frequently Asked Questions on MBA-ALTA Model Bill
- Frequently Used Legal Acronyms of Key Laws and Model Bills
- MBA-ALTA-NAR Model RON/RIN State Executive Order
- Model State Executive Order Sample Letter to Governors
- Model State Executive Order FAQ
- MISMO Remote Online Notarization Standards
- American Land Title Association Resource Page
- MISMO Digital Mortgage Resouce Center
- Fannie Mae eClosing Technology Solution Provider List
- Freddie Mac Reviewed Vendor List
- MERS eRegistry Participants
- DLA Piper Summary of State Executive Orders to Allow Remote Notarizations
Read the latest news related to Remote Online Notarization
- June 30, 2020: Oregon Passes Legislation to Temporarily Allow RON
- June 26, 2020: Colorado Gov. Polis Signs Legislation to Enable RON in State
- April 30, 2020: Alaska Gov. Dunleavy Signs RON Bill into Law
- April 23, 2020: Massachusetts Governor Signs Legislation to Temporarily Allow Remote Notarizations.
- April 20, 2020: Pennsylvania Enacts COVID-19 Legislation to Allow RON.
- April 20, 2020: New Jersey Gov. Murphy Signs Legislation to Allow Remote Notarizations during COVID-19 Health Crisis.
- April 16, 2020: Fannie Mae Issues Guidance on "Remote-Ink Notariations" (RIN) that are Authorized through Emergency Order.
- April 14, 2020: Mississippi Issues Emergency Rule to Allow Remote Notarizations.
- April 9, 2020: Michigan Issues Emergency Rules to Allow RON.
- April 9, 2020: Maine Issues Emergency Order to Enable Remote Notarizations.
- April 8, 2020: Rhode Island Issues Emergency Order to Allow RON Transactions Temporarily.
- April 6, 2020: Indiana Waives July 1 Effective Date of RON Law to Allow RON Transactions Immediately.
- April 6, 2020: New Mexico Issues Emergency Order to Allow Remote Notarizations.
- April 6, 2020: Hawaii Issues Emergency Order to Suspend In-Person Requirements for Notarial Acts.
- April 1, 2020: Georgia Issues Emergency Order to Allow Remote Notarizations.
- April 1, 2020: West Virginia Secretary of State Issues Emergency Orderto Allow Remote Notarizations.