Home Equity Lending Study
In This Section
MBA's Home Equity Lending Study
MBA's Home Equity Lending Study includes benchmarking data - volume, utilization rates, operational metrics, and growth expectations - related to lending and servicing open-ended Home Equity Lines of Credit (HELOCs) and closed-end Home Equity Loans (HE Loans).
If your company originates and/or services HELOCs or HE Loans and would like to participate in the 2020 study, please complete the registration form below and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This study was first conducted in Spring 2019, based on data through 2018. MBA collected data from 27 member companies - including large banks, community banks, and independent mortgage companies - representing $64.7 billion in originations volume for 2018, $517.4 billion in maximum credit extended to borrowers as of December 31, 2018, and $249.7 billion in outstanding borrowings as of December 31, 2018.
A summary report is available for purchase, and includes key findings and charts from the 2019 Home Equity Lending Study and is available for purchase. The following charts are included:
- Owner's Equity in Real Estate and Home Equity Debt Outstanding
- Residential Lien Summary
- HELOC Originations
- Equity Gain By State
- Home Equity Lender Challenges
- Home Equity Lender Initiatives
- Operating Structures: Originations and Servicing
- 2018 Commitment Volume Levels
- First Borrower Contact
- Reasons for Borrowing
- Underwriting Characteristics: Loan-To-Value Ratios
- Underwriting Characteristics: Valuation Method
- Underwriting Characteristics: Average FICO
- Pull-Through Rates and Processing Times
- Vintage Year Utilization Comparison (2016, 2017 and 2018)
- HELOC Accounts with 0% to 100% Usage as of Year-End 2018
- HELOC and HE Loans Outstandings: Financing Terms & Performance
- HELOC and HE Loan Growth Expectations
For questions on ordering the summary publication, contact email@example.com or call 202-557-2916.