Path to Diversity Scholarship Program
In This Section
Contact Lisa Volb at email@example.com or 202-557-2919.
The Path to Diversity Scholarship Program recognizes existing industry professionals who are seeking to advance their careers through continuing education. Recipients receive a voucher to cover course registration fees, up to a maximum of $2,000, for popular MBA Education courses and designation programs. This education opportunity enables employees from diverse backgrounds to advance their professional growth and career development.
MBA recognizes that a strong, responsible and sustainable real estate finance industry requires a workforce that is reflective of our society at large.
Celebrate our newest 70+ Path to Diversity Scholarship recipients (from October 2017 - April 2018) with us.
Application Requirements and Eligibility
A completed application requires a resume, personal statement, and letter of reference from a supervisor or senior manager at your current place of employment. In addition, you must meet the following criteria:
- Is part of one or more of the following under-represented groups:
- Non-white or bi-racial
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender
- Is currently employed by an MBA member firm or state MBA member firm
- Has worked a minimum of two years in the mortgage industry, or has broad experience in a related field with some focus in real estate finance, or has post-high school education related to the real estate finance industry, to include training to obtain a license, company-sponsored training, or MBA or other professional education
Review Timeline and Evaluation Process
Applications are accepted on a monthly, rolling basis subject to the availability of funds. Individuals are eligible to receive up to three awards during their careers, with no more than one award provided per calendar year.
Applications received by the 15th of the month will be reviewed within that month by MBA's Path to Diversity Scholarship Award Task Force. Applicants will receive an "Acceptance" or "Denial" email no later than 30 days after the end of the month in which the application was reviewed. If you are denied, you may reapply at any time.
In order to be accepted, applicants must receive a minimum score of 75 points out of a total of 100. Applications are scored by:
- Personal Statement: 50 points
- Letter of Recommendation: 50 points
Applicants who are U.S. Military Veterans or who are disabled will receive 5 bonus points.
Qualified Courses and Programs
Accepted applicants may use their education funds on any of the following:
Professional Certificates & Designations
- Certified Mortgage Banker (CMB)
- Certified Mortgage Compliance Professional, Level I (CMCP)
- Certified Residential Underwriter (CRU)
- Accredited Mortgage Professional (AMP)
- Residential Certified Mortgage Servicer (CMS)
- Commercial Certified Mortgage Servicer (CCMS)
- Chartered Realty Investor (CRI)
- Residential Future Leaders Program
- Commercial Future Leaders Program
- Management Essentials for Mortgage Professionals
- School of Mortgage Banking I: An Introduction to the Real Estate Finance Industry
- School of Mortgage Banking II: Managing Profitability and Risk
- School of Mortgage Banking III: Strategic Planning for Mortgage Bankers
Residential: Loan Production
- School of Loan Origination I: An Introduction to Loan Production
- School of Loan Origination II: Grow Your Production Business
Residential: Loan Administration
Residential: Risk Management
- Advanced Risk Management for Mortgage Pros
- Advanced Risk Management Concepts Workshop
- Successful Practices In Third Party Risk Management @MISMO
- Successful Practices In Third Party Risk Management @ RMQA
This scholarship is fully funded by our members. It simply would not be possible without your support! Join your industry peers who are already committed to supporting this important scholarship.
As a donor, your company will receive the following:
- Company listed in scholarship fund press release
- Company logo on the MBA’s Path to Diversity web page and program materials
- Recognition on MBA’s social media platforms
In 2017 MBA awarded more than 100 scholarships totaling more than $121,000!
"This program is part of MBA's commitment to promote diversity and inclusion in attracting and developing industry talent and operates in furtherance of MBA's tax-exempt purposes, including but not limited to the purposes of "meeting the educational needs of the real estate finance industry by making available a range of educational products and services, developing more efficient mechanisms for their delivery and performing such other activities, consistent with the Association's tax-exempt status, as are necessary and appropriate to achieve the foregoing;" Article III, Sections (e) and (i) of the MBA Bylaws,as amended through August 2018."
Watch MBANow with Erin Harris, MQMR
Download this flyer and share it with your colleagues!